Friday, July 15, 2011

Fourth of July and Laura's wedding weekend!

There was a slight change of plans for this Fourth of July: No Bald Head! There weren't too many complaints, though, because we got to spend a long weekend with family, attend a beautiful wedding, and make many wonderful memories. :-)

We drove to Louisville on Friday afternoon and stayed at the historic Seelbach Hotel, which is apparently haunted by the Lady in Blue. (Cue Liz having a panic attack upon receiving this information!) Friday night we met up with the Miller clan from North Carolina and D.C., so it was kind of like Bald Head...only in the midwest... The "adults" were so nice to watch baby Preston so that the kids could go out and play! We had some drinks and dinner at the Old Seelbach Bar then headed to Churchill Downs to enjoy a fun evening of horse racing, white wearing, and...thirst quenching...






































































We could be in a band!
Link













While we were at Churchill Downs, Christopher and Emily were arriving from Denver!! After Churchill Downs, we stopped for a bite to eat on unique Fourth Street!

Saturday was epic. After battling with accident traffic on I-65, which stretched basically up to Indiana, we made it to Laura and Andy's wedding in Elizabethtown, albeit a little late. Luckily (:-/), some of the musicians were also stuck in traffic, so that bought us a little time. We walked in as they were lining up the beautiful procession in the nave. (I know I shouldn't have looked, but I did!!! Since it was a nuptial mass, I was able to pray for forgiveness...)

Everything about the mass was beautiful: the music, the flowers, the readings, the bridesmaids, the MOTHERS, and of course, as if there was any doubt, the most beautiful bride I've ever seen! Her dress was so sleek and lacy, and she wore it with such elegance. And that veil! Oh, that veil!!Unfortunately my camera died at the beginning of the wedding. :-(

































We drove back to Louisville and took some power naps before the awesomeness that awaited us at the reception. I think it was one of the most well thought out receptions I've ever been to, down to every detail. Example: There was a huge basket in the ladies restroom of pink and white flip flops of various sizes, accompanied by a cute poem about putting your dancing shoes on! So cute! (You better believe I wore those puppies OUT by the end of the night!)






























































































































































































































































Guess who we saw as we were leaving Sunday morning?? Thanks for a great night with family!!















The five members (and common law members) of the Hamilton clan piled into the CR-V for the trip back to Indy, where more awesome festivities awaited!!

Dad got us tickets to go see Avenue Q at a small, local theater (The Phoenix), of which he serves as a board member. It was so stinkin' hilarious, and the performers were great, as always!




























Link















We went to Dad's place to freshen up, then walked along Mass Ave to scope out the sights until dinner. Dad lives in a very artsy district, so we passed a fair amount of modern street art on our walk.

























































Dinner was great. As were the drinks at the next place we stopped!














Since Sunday was July 3rd, and we weren't going to be together for fireworks on the evening of July 4th, we made a run to the grocery to grab some cheap fireworks and had a burping contest/chorus on the walk there...and the walk inside...and the walk after. I wish I could have seen the people's faces as the family of five they were passing all burped at the same time! :-)

We went to the rooftop of Dad's condo building to play with sparklers and have a glass of wine...or bourbon. (Thanks, Brandon!)

























































After playing with sparklers, we switched to playing with cards. A few hours later, after 2 or 3 a.m., we were still somehow only half way through our game of Shanghai, so we had to call it quits. I think that's the only time in my life that I've ever stopped in the middle of a card game like that, to not pick it up later!

We all spent the night at Dad's on Sunday, and Emily's parents drove down from Chicago on Monday for the day! Unfortunately, Steven and I had to get home to work on papers for my all-consuming grad class. Booooo.

Overall, a great weekend with family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment